The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) was adopted by the General Assembly on December 2006, and came into force in May 2008. Article 40 of the Convention stipulates that “the States Parties shall meet regularly in a Conference of States Parties (COSP) in order to consider any matter with regard to the implementation of the present Convention.”
COSP 15 side event co-hosted by DRF/ DRAF, International Disability Alliance, Global Affairs Canada, GLAD Network and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland
Panel: Women with Disabilities Leading Climate Action
English recording here.
Date: June 15, 2022
Time: 8:30 am – 9:45 am EDT
This panel will highlight the important role women with disabilities are playing to ensure gender-responsive and disability-inclusive responses to climate action. Women with disabilities are often excluded from early warning, relief, or emergency response programs because of inaccessible information and infrastructure; governments, too, struggle to have a thoughtful gender equity approach. We know that the participation and leadership of women is critical for inclusive climate change and disaster management programs. In this side event, you will learn about the steps that are being taken for inclusion by different stakeholders, such as the UN, donor agencies, OPDs, and NGOs working at the intersection of climate change, disaster risk reduction, disability rights, and gender justice.
● Cheryl Urban, Director General for Economic Development and International Financial Institutions, Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
● Petri Puhakka, Ambassador for Disability Inclusion, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Finland
● Pratima Gurung, General Secretary, Indigenous Person with Disabilities Global Network and President, National Indigenous Disabled Women Association Nepal (NIDWAN)
● Maria Un, Chair, Indonesia Association of Women with Disabilities (HWDI) of South Sulawesi Branches
● Monjural Kabir, Global Adviser and Team Leader, Gender Equality and Disability Inclusion, UN Women
● Stefan Tromel, Senior Disability Specialist in the International Labour Organization (ILO)
● Dwi Ariyani, Regional Head of Programs – Asia, DRF/ DRAF (Moderator)